"To move, to breathe, to fly, to float / To gain all while you give / To roam the roads of lands remote / To travel is to live!"
- Hans Christian Andersen


May 22, 2014

Karaoke, themed restaurant and Host Club scouting

So, this blog will be about 3 things:

1: my first karaoke experience
2: my first themed restaurant experience
3: Host Club scouting

;D 
(Oh, and all pictures will be crappy iPhone quality pics)


So, first of all my friend Pernille finally arrived (though at this time it's almost a week since she arrived, bah I'm so lazy), so it's time to experience some other things. 

1: KARAOKE
So the other evening we were talking around the Shibuya area, when Pernille got the idea that we should go karaokeing. Now, I am an unbelievably bad singer... I SERIOUSLY couldn't hit a proper tone if my life depended on it, and despite normally not being very shy, I am quite shy about letting other people (except my family) hear me sing, but I thought I might as well give it a shot, since we only were two. 
So she took us to one of her favorite karaoke places (from last time she was here), we payed 2400yen each for 2 hours (which probably was muuuch more than we should have, but we're foreigners =.='), but it was with all you can drink incl. (Though it is literally impossible to get drunk in japan, it seems).
We then went to our tiny room, ordered a couple of strawberry mojitos (omnomnom) and started making a list of songs. Ofc starting our with Let It Go from Frozen ('cause that's such a simple song. Duh ;D). I really thought I wouldn't do much singing, but we barely reached the course before I was singing my lungs out...!
OH MY GOD, karaoke is so much fun.m
So for the following two hours, we were pouring strawberry mojitos down and singing everything from Nirvana, Beatles and ABBA to Disney, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and One Direction. 
SO MUCH FUN!!! 
It's like all the shyness and the self awareness just vanishes within minutes, 'cause ofc karaokeing isn't about singing well, it's just about having fun with your friends! ;D





2: THEMED RESTAURANT
Today I had my first themed restaurant experience. We decided we wanted to do something different for dinner and try out a themed restaurant. There are quite a few of them here in a Tokyo apparently. So after a quick google search, we decided to go to an Alice In Wonderland themed restaurant in the Shinjuku area, since none of us had really spent too much time in that area. This particular restaurant is called Alice of Magic World. 
I must be honest, finding it was a freaking BITCH!!! We spent such a long time walking around looking for it. We knew the general direction, but had a hard time finding an actual address. So finally we walked into a random hotel and asked if they knew where the restaurant was. Luckily they did!! Woohoo! 
Ofc it was located in the basement of a shopping mall (which didn't look like a mall from the outside).

The entrance to the restaurant was SO cool. The door looked like a huge book, that slid to one side when approached.



When we arrived the waiter (or what ever he was), was on the phone (for quite a long time), yakking to someone who wanted to reserve a table, but he pointed at some chairs, so we took a seat and waited for him to finish up. He was really pretty nicely dressed, with a vest and a top hat (that had a playing card stuck to it), kind of madhatter'ish but without the craziness. 



After about 10 minutes of waiting we were shown to our table. Some of the tables were in small booths that looked like the maze in AiW. You can kinda see it in the picture. Our table was in the main part of the restaurant. The whole restaurant was really nicely decorated. They had really done a great job and paid a lot of attention to every little detail. Even the lighting in the restaurant was nice. In the background they kept playing songs from Disney movies, though not too loudly. Actually, the whole atmosphere in there was really comfortable. 




A girl dressed in an Alice dress came over with the menu and brought us some an appetizer. 
This is the menu. Wow!:



Anyway, it was apparently an Italian restaurant, so I ordered some pasta with tomato sauce and shrimp, and Pernille ordered some chicken and vegetables in cream. Don't worry, it tasted better and more interesting than it sounds ;D 
Ofc all the food and drinks are called something Alice inspired ;D so cute!

For dessert we both ordered chocolate cake. OMG IT WAS SO CUUUUUTE!!!



So, I must say my first themed restaurant experience was a success. Despite how hard it was to find the restaurant, it really was worth it!!!


KANPAI!!! 


3: HOST CLUB SCOUTING
So, the last thing I wanted to write about in this blog, was what we did after eating at the Alice in Wonderland restaurant; scouting for Host Clubs. 
Going to a Host Club is one of the things on my to-do list while here. It's completely unique to japan, and seriously is soooo far from anything I've ever tried before. 

For those of you who don't know what a host club is, its basically a club where you pay a guy to pretend he's your boyfriend for an hour or two. In the price a bit of alcohol is included, so you drink and talk, and it's his job to compliment you and make you feel comfortable. There is no physical contact and nothing sexual (though you could probably do it if you want. Lol). 
Ofc everything is absolutely fake, but as long as you know that, it should be okay ;D.

So since we already were in the Shinjuku area (which is where the largest Host Club district is located), we thought we might as well go for a walk and get a feeling for it, before we try it ourselves. Especially because we are both kinda nasty and quite unattractive looking today ;D. 
Turning into the area called Kabukicho, the first thing that meets your eye is: PICTURES OF GUYS/HOSTS EVERYWHERE. Seriously, you can't look anywhere without looking at a picture of a guy. All with great hair ofc ;D. Wow, that was so weird and kinda unexpected too. 





Walking around the district you see quite a lot of the guys standing outside the Clubs too. 
I rarely feel awkward, but I must say I did feel a bit awkward walking around, because even though we didn't get approached, everyone knows what's going on. It's really not a secret.  So happy we were two. :'D 
After walking around for about 20 minutes we decided to go home. It was a bit awkward since we ofc weren't going to a club today. 


If we had been japanese women we probably would have been approached, but we'll probably have to do a bit of research on how to get in. 
Anyway, I can't wait! Again, it's soooo far from anything I've ever tried before which is why I really want to go!!! 









No comments:

Post a Comment