Last time I did a blog post about how I found Seoul in general, so this time I'll just do a short post on the similarities and differences.
Especially before going to Seoul, a lot of people didn't really get why I wanted to go since "Tokyo and Seoul are so similar", but to be honest I found them to be really really different.
Looking at how people are, japanese people are always very friendly but tend to be really shy, doubt there English skills a lot, and therefore try not to communicate with foreigners too much.
Koreans on the other hand, I found, were really outgoing and interested in talking to strangers/foreigners. I was stopped quite a few times on the streets by completely random Koreans, who just wanted to talk (and who actually didn't seem creepy, lol).
- but, Koreans English skills are really good. almost everyone I met spoke great English, so that does help them quite a lot!
Fashion wise they didn't seem very similar either...
Japanese people are super well dressed. I mean, in tokyo you barely see a guy without a suit, and a woman without high heels and a dress.
Where the guys in japan mostly seem to be in suits or rather feminin t-shirts and tight pants, the guys in Korea had a much more playful boyish look. Almost like a school kid look. Usually quite tight shorts, and dress shirt and a bow tie, fake hipster glasses, a cap and a MCM backpack. (Yes, more or less al guys looked like that! :'D).
The girls on the other hand, had almost the same style. Dresses and heels both places, though slightly better dressed in japan. Though younger women (20's) has such a "little girl look" in japan. The contacts, crazy amounts of makeup and knee-high socks.
Of course there's korea's crazy obsession with beauty and plastic surgery too. It's so normal. Walking down the street you barely see a woman who hasn't had at least the "double eyelid" surgery - I think 20-25% has had plastic surgery. Age the same goes for guys, though not quite as many.
Not my picture.
Oh yea, and Koreans couples love to wear the same clothes... It's kinda ridiculous... But also kinda cute... I don't know. I'm confused :( ;D
Music wise there's a pretty big difference too. Come on, listen to kpop and japanese music... It ain't similar at all. The kpop culture is absolutely crazy!!!
Oh well, enough on this topic!
- I absolutely love the people of both countries, and thank you for being so different; it just means there's more for me to love!!!! ;D <3
Edit:
I was kindly reminded of a last topic to compare: the drinking/party culture!
Japanese people generally are some of the weakest drinkers I've ever met. It would be so cheap to drink if you were japanese, haha. Usually japanese people tend to go out at 6 or 7pm and then stop at 11:30'ish om, to catch the last train. Though it's quite common to see people drunk out of their minds at 10pm. Hahaha
Koreans on the other hand, down soju bottles after soju bottles, go clubbing every day of the week and the guys are the ones dancing on the poles in the clubs! ;D


No comments:
Post a Comment